Friday, April 26, 2013

C4T #4

Amanda Ooten’s Science Teaching for the Future

This blog contains many interesting and useful things; however, I was disappointed to see that I was assigned a blog that hasn’t been updated in over year. Amanda Ooten teaches AP and Honors Biology, as well as PLTW’s, at a high school in Ohio.

Comment #1

My first comment was on Mrs. Ooten’s blog Odds & Ends Update. This was a fairly short posted but addressed many topics in a very concise manner. She apologized for having took so long to create a new post and moves into what has been going on with her now flipped classroom, technology at her school, her AP Biology class. She also included a YouTube section that advises against using any images from a textbook. Pearson contacted her about copyright infringement because of the images used in videos that she made. She had to remove the videos from the web, but plans to appeal the decision.

I told Mrs. Ooten that I enjoyed reading her post. I thanked her for sharing the tip about the YouTube, as it’s a mistake I was likely to make. I stated that I was very excited to begin teaching in a technology friendly environment and hoped to hear more about her experiences.

Comment #2

In her post, My Flipped Classroom, part 1, Ooten describes her experiences so far with her newly flipped classroom. My favorite thing that she points put in this post is that her freshman class did much better than her senior class when it came to answering critical thinking questions. She says that her seniors immediately began flipping through their texts looking for exact answers, and attributes this to these students having 3 years of teachers that operated in this “burp-back” manner.

I told her that this article was extremely helpful for new teachers that are interested in flipping their classrooms. I thanked her for sharing the articles on “teaching naked”, which were very insightful, and also mentioned her list of blogs that she follows (mentioned in her very first post) was very helpful to me. I ended by saying that I hoped for an update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment