Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post #3

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns!
Peer Editing

I think Paige’s suggestion for this assignment was a great idea. I have been wary about commenting on other’s blogs. I feel much more confident doing so now. Most of the things in the video, in my opinion, can be utilized with basic tact.

I worked as a photographer for a while when I was 19, and I had a manager that said the customer does not have to always be right, but they can be wrong with dignity. She basically meant that it is ok to correct others, but you need to do so in a tactful manner. This can definitely be applied to peer editing.

I tried to incorporate the instructions for peer editing when I completed my C4C assignment this week. It was difficult for me to criticize certain areas of my classmates blog. I think I managed to follow all steps well, and leave a quality comment without hurting any feelings. I would actually like to utilize this a bit more now. I’m always worried about whether or not my blog posts will be up to par. I think It’d help me to feel more confident about what I’ve written if someone else were to proof and give me feedback beforehand.

Assistive Technology

I think the mountbatten is incredible. My subject of choice is English, so this will definitely come in handy should I have a student that is blind. Communication is the key to everything. This piece of technology really opens lines to better communication. The best thing about it is that the student can work on an assignment individually and then still send a worded file to the teacher. Both student and teacher will be able to easily read it.

The VoiceOver software for iPad is a wonderful advancement. Obviously, as we seen in the video, there are some kinks in the software. I think once these bugs get fixed and the software is more finely tuned, it will be much more simple to use.

These advancements, among others, will help to students with sensory disabilities interact with their classmates. These students will be able to collaborate with other students much easier.

I have never been good at math even with sight. I am rather relieved that I won’t have to worry with teaching math. Especially to those who are blind. Professor Karshmer developed a personal workspace that allows the mathematical problems to be viewed in a non-linear way.

I definitely need to do more research on assistive technology. I think as an educator I wll already have a heavy work load. I need to work on being as prepared as I can be to help my students.

Harnessing Your Students' Digital Smarts

This video by Vicki Davis was amazing. She has found a way to meet curriculum standards while still adapting it to use technology. My favorite part of the whole video was the part where she talked about her students learning terraforming. She openly admitted that she had no experience with terraforming and learned with her students.

I think this is a great way to get them interested, make them feel accomplished, and build rapport. I think the idea of learning things with your students is an incredible concept. This would surely keep everything fun and intriguing for all parties. I am looking forward to utilizing many of her principles into my own classroom.

1 comment: