Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student

There are amazing things that learners can do with technology and networking. Wendy Drexler’s video, The Networked Student, demonstrates this. There are innumerable ways in which to access information of all variety. Not only is the information readily available, most people are able to access it anywhere, at anytime.

Of course we need teachers. Just as the video states, there are many roles that a teacher will take on. We are the source that students will come to for help, guidance, and mediation. In a sense, it is our jobs to be the experts. By the time we have students of our own, we should have a well-rounded knowledge of beneficial tools for them to use. I do think that younger children should have more time with their instructors. There are many obstacles that will arise from adopting networked learning, but considering the benefits it really is worth it.

If I must answer the question of whether or not I am ready to be a networked teacher, I feel that I must answer truthfully. Currently, no, I am not. I am definitely ready to become one though. I have so much work and learning and just exploring in general to do. My knowledge of the things available is still very primitive. Obviously, this will change over time as I take more classes, study new things, and build my network. I am, however, quite confident that I will do very well for my future students. I think students deserve the very best of what we can offer them.



A 7th Grader’s PLE

My favorite thing about this video was when the student mentioned that by having freedom it inclined her to act responsibly. Awesome! She has obviously put a lot of work into developing her PLE. I was very impressed! Her PLE is ver similar to my PLN. I use Symbaloo as well. It really is a great tool.

I also have some of my personal things organized into my home webmix. I have set Symbaloo as my homepage so that everything I could possibly want to go to is right there at the tap of my finger. While I already have lots of things listed in Symbaloo, I am always searching for new things to add.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanette!

    First of all, thanks for posting! I agree. There are so many technologies and applications out there! I've already learned so much from this class. Also, I understand where you are coming from when you say that you are not ready right now, however you will be ready to become a networked teacher. Personally, I like developing personal relationships with students and being able to be there to discuss controversial topics to encourage critical thinking. Some students need that little nudge from in class learning to motivate and inspire them to want to know more. This post was well organized and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks again for sharing.

    Wannetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that connectivism requires teachers - but teachers who do very different things than teachers in the past. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete