Friday, February 15, 2013

Blog Post #5

Who is Krissy Venosdale?

Krissy Venosdale has been teaching for the last ten years. She is currently a gifted education teacher. I want to say based on clues throughout some of her posts that she teaches in the St. Louis area. I think she has some excellent standards on what education means, and how one should go about educating. I would definitely suggest that you check out her blog here.

If I Built A School

If I built a school, the teaching styles would coincide with Ms. Venosdale’s ideas. Creativity, innovation, and collaboration would be a few of the things at the top of my list. I would also try to make the environment warm, inviting, and cozy. I would try to give the school a collegiate feel. Students will be able to choose their schedules. I would allow them more personal freedom outside of class to connect and discuss with friends over lunch or snacks. I think this will also help them develop more effective time management skills. I could go on and on and be very thorough. I could describe everything down to the color of paint in the hallways; however to compensate for time and length constrictions. I will leave it rather vague.



Virtual Choir

Wow! This was so awesome! Absolutely mind-blowing! Not only did it sound amazing, but this is truly an example of technology at its best. All of these people performed a very complex piece together completely over the internet. None of these people has met before in person, yet still managed to collaborate in order to create a stunning piece of work. While this was entirely about a virtual choir, the principle can be applied to almost anything. I think the most important thing is that this is a shared experience. You are a part of something bigger, as Mr. Whitacre says in his talk on TED. I think the world has a way of making us as individuals feel extremely small. With collaborative projects such as Mr. Whitacre’s virtual choir, people can feel as if they important, something bigger than just themselves.



Teaching In The 21st Century

I think Kevin Roberts touches some key issues. I can understand exactly where he is coming from. Times have changed. Students don’t need someone that will give them facts and dates. We are able to google anything, anytime, anywhere. We all, for the most part, have a device on our persons that allow us to access almost any knowledge in the world within a matter of moments.

I think for me, as an educator, this means I need to focus less on facts and information, and more on skills that come into play once the information has been accessed. Students need to be prepared to use technology, to harness creativity, to innovate, and think critically. They need to know what to do with the information. I think this all goes back to teaching our students to learn. If they are able to learn, to innovate, they will make use of the information that have their fingertips.



Flipped Classrooms

I think this is an amazing concept! It makes so much sense that I can’t believe we didn’t utilize this kind of system sooner. Lectures bore the mess out of me; they can be hard to follow, teachers sometimes speak too fast or too slowly, or even too monotonously. This system of educating allows students to watch lectures instead of wasting valuable class time trying to focus on what is being said. If all lectures are in video form, students are able to go back and watch them as they please. They can pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. With this step being taken care of outside of the classroom, educators can step in and use their class time as an opportunity to make sure that everyone has grasped the concepts and are correctly applying them.

The increase in time for individual (or smaller group) instruction will be the most benefical, in my opinion. I have always went to class, sat through a lecture, told myself “yep I got it”, only to get home to start homework and realize that I have no clue what I’m doing. With a flipped classroom, lectures are readily available when I need them, and I will also have time with my teacher to make sure that I am not practicing something incorrectly.

I think this is an amazing system. I will definitely utilize these methods in my classroom. I am so thankful that this was an assignment!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jeanette!

    Your blog is very well written! I completely agree with you that we can't live in the past and focus solely on facts; but rather the skills we learn are the most important thing.

    A collegiate feel to your dream classroom is a great idea, however I don't think letting the students completely pick their schedules would be the best approach. Younger children wouldn't really have a grasp on what to take and when to take it. However, you're definitely on the right path, giving them options and letting them pick something that interests them is an excellent learning tool.

    I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... teaching our students to learn." Yes!

    " I have always went to class,..." gone, not went

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanett,

    I enjoyed reading about "your school." It is interesting to see how different everyone's dream schools are! In high school we were able to sit down with a counselor and pick some of our classes. Taking responsibility for my own schedule helped me develop skills I would need later in college.

    You made great points about how educators should be teaching our students to learn! I agree with you about not teaching as much fact, but more skills to help students continue to learn.

    I believe your post about the flipped classroom describes most students in a classroom! I also feel like this will be a great tool for our future classrooms.

    Keep up the great posts!

    ReplyDelete